Botswana tourism grows 3.4% in 2018

25 Mar 2019

elephantIn an annual report of the economic impact and social importance of the tourism sector, the World Travel and Tourism Council (WTTC) revealed that Botswana’s tourism sector expanded by 3.4% in 2018.

This growth was more than the Sub-Saharan African average of 3.3%, while also having contributed a whopping US$2.52 billion to Botswana’s economy.

In 2018, Botswana’s tourism sector supported 84,000 jobs, or 8.9% of the country’s total employment. Those visiting for leisure purposes (96%) mainly drove the high figure, while business travellers made up the remaining 4%.

“Botswana is a jewel in the crown of Sub-Saharan Africa’s travel and tourism sector. It is home to some of the most iconic tourism sites in Africa, such as the Okavango Delta, Chobe National Park and the Central Kalahari Game Reserve,” said WTTC President and Chief Executive Officer, Gloria Guevara.

Tourism has been and continues to be one of Botswana’s fundamental economic sectors, having contributed greatly to government revenue and boosted important macro businesses. It is also the greatest foreign income earner after the powerful mining sector.

Travel has aided employment globally, supporting one in every ten jobs. Over the past ten years, one in five of all jobs created worldwide have been in the sector and almost 100 million new jobs could potentially be created over the coming decade. – Weekend Post reports.